Friday, February 3, 2012

Boxcar Willie

Ok, now I'm gonna tell you how to get the most out of a 3rd class train ride in Asia.
First, go buy a pint of hong thong.
Its a really nasty Thai whiskey, it'll set you back 2$.
Then get some chicken livers on a stick, fried bananas and various other Thai yummies before you board.
All the older mammas have food stands by the station so you'll have no problem getting supplies.
When the train rolls go sit on the steps between trains. Pretty soon all the men get bored and crowd around out there cause it's the only place you can smoke.
Then you offer the whiskey and food around, and before you know it everyone's getting food from vendors on the train and passing the hat for a beer run at the stops.
I can't speak anything except the very basics in thai, but it's enough to join in and it's a hell of a way to ride a train.
I wasn't in the mood to travel when I left, so when I got on the I planned on making it fun.
The wind and noise, clanking tracks, and cars bouncing separately, guys yelling stories to you in a foreign language and you can't understand a single word, the jungle flying by, rice fields filled with egrets and water buffalo, hot sun and wet marsh smell in the cool wind. That pretty much sums up my day.
A fine day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment