Monday, January 9, 2012

Otres beach

After seeing Angkor wat I intended to head for Laos but I decided to go see cambodias beaches first.
I paid 12 dollars for a ten hour bus ride to sinuakville. Got there at midnight and found a driver to take me to otres beach. Sinaukville is a 300 km area so the only way I had an idea of where to go is because I had met some people who told me otres beach is the place to go to because it's very hard to get to, unknown, and there are backpackers living and working there for months at a time.
The tuk-tuk (pictured below) took me out of town and down a long bumpy dirt road till we came to a village of bamboo huts. That was when I knew I had hit a gold mine.
Otres Beach is still completely undiscovered because you can't fly here and there are no paved roads or modern amenities.
Supposedly, Rolling stone magazine called this beach "cambodia's best kept secret."
The beach is unbelievably gorgeous, clean from garbage, the water is warm and shallow, and the place is inhabited by super friendly Cambodian families and a community of friendly backpackers who extend their stay here by working for free room and board.
the running joke here is everyone plans on one week and ends up staying for a month..
I'm only staying a week though... I think.....

No comments:

Post a Comment