Monday, January 9, 2012

My hut

I pay 4 dollars a night.
There is a bamboo hut sectioned into four rooms with grass panels.
You have no privacy here, when the babies cry at night you wake up also.
When business starts you get up to because the whole village is essentially sleeping outside and you can hear everything!
Toilets are shared outhouses, and the shower (pictured below) is just a barrel of water with a pan to pour water over your head.
Also pictured below is the huge clay jar filled with rain water and the metal basins I use to do my laundry.
My room is 2 ft bigger than my mattress and mosquito net.
There is no wifi and the power goes off every day.
It is indescribably beautiful here with a mild climate.
Most people would never come here though because it is so primitive.
The woman who sold me the room was breast feeding a baby while I haggled for a price, and I didn't even blink an eye. I adapted quickly here because everything is just more natural.
Some of the things they do here would shock westerners but they are just more innocent than we are here.
People still live and think like people did hundreds of years ago.
I soon learned not to notice men peeing in public, or breastfeeding mothers, or women washing babies in a tub while they sell drinks from a roadside cooler.
These things are just considered natural and not rude here.
I am so glad I got to experience village life, because it really changed the way I think about the importance of family and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment