Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My good friend Richard

Everybody meet my friend Richard.
When I came to this island I had no idea where I was going.
Richard introduced me to some long term expats who were very good hearted people, and he showed where to go on the island to have the best fun.
After hanging out for awhile we found out we were pretty good buds.
Plus I have alot in common with the Dutch. Richard and a couple of his friends are from holland in the Netherlands.8
Once they found out I had a Dutch name I was easily accepted into their crowd.
The Dutch are very proud of their name and ancestry.
I was told "no more van atta! Sounds terrible- say it with pride, your family name is (pronounced) fon otta!"
I learned that the van attas were farmers and country people from the north.
Richards mothers family name also came from the same part of the northern Nederlands.
Hearing my name said properly, meeting people with similar genetic traits and personalities, and learning about the country some of my ancestors came from has given me a new sense of roots.
I learned soon after I got here that everything is easier if you make friends.
And I've been able to meet a few people, Louise an older retired English gal, Richard the Dutch engineer, and Tanya the Italian artist.
All of them have been here many times and after good conversation they all kinda took me under their wings and made my time here much easier.
I had to introduce Richard to everyone because him and I are the trouble causers down here this year. Just having fun being rascals, and making sure everyone's having too much fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment