Thursday, January 19, 2012

Luang prabang

I arrived in northern laos tonight.
I am in a small town called Luang Prabang.
I am very close to china, and there are more chinese tourists than westerners.
Luang prabang was a french colonial city in the 1700's.
All the original brick sidewalks, stone buildings and walls are still being used.
The side streets are all cobblestone and they have been worn smooth over the years.
This town is high up in the mountains and is surrounded by jungle.
They have unlimited timber, so they just use the old french buildings and replace the wooden doors and window shutters when needed.
This is definitely traditional asian country.
The sign at the airport warned westerners of a strictly modest dress code.
When you enter town you instantly slip back one hundred years.
There is a midnight curfew and everything closes at 1130. (everyone is kindly requested to be in room and quiet by 1200 am)
There are no pirate parties or bars here, and I'll have to switch gears, but I already feel relaxed and at home because of the small town atmosphere.
Tomorrow I plan on signing up for a two day treck into the jungle on elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment