Monday, January 9, 2012

First friends then business

I learned quickly in Cambodia to meet and make friends with the guesthouse owner and taxi drivers that lived there and then doing business was much easier and cheaper.
After the tour of Angkor way the tuk tuk driver invited me to dinner at his house to meet his family.
First he took me to the the temple where he prays, there was loud Asian music playing and he told me "we play this music so the whole village can hear, for good luck and good life."
Then we went to his house where I met his family and then he took me to wash up and drink some water from a hand pump and cement basin with a tin cup.
Then he showed me his chickens, water buffalo, and rice fields.
Then it was time to eat!
We started with tiny fried seasoned shrimp dipped in lime juice and salt.
Then fried chicken pieces, then a salad made of the strangest vegetable I've ever tasted, then rice and vegetables.
The food kept piling up and everyone just eats with their hands from the bowls. There were nine people in his family and several friends arrived so it was a big group.
They hollered to a man on the road at one point and he brought a dirty plastic water bottle filled with a white substance.
It was palm wine. It has a strong flavor reminiscent of fermented vomit.
Of course I was expected to heartily enjoy two full glasses since it was bought just for me the guest.
Gulping that silty fermented palm milk was definitely a chore but I drank with gusto.
I then asked if it was true that Cambodians ate dog.
They said yes "Cambodians eat everything!" they were proud of this, and it's true. Bugs, and any animal, the Cambodians are extremely resourceful and have learned to make tasty treats even with bugs!
I told him we don't eat dog in the states. And he said "you must try!"
Well of course I must.
So a nephew was sent running down the dirt road and he returned with plastic bags filled with curried dog.
A heaping bowl was placed before me and I dug in!
I must say dog meat is really really good. It's like shredded roast beef.
Soon it was time for karaoke.
The Asians love karaoke.
We bought a case of beer from a lady next door, and all the men jumped on motorcycles and we took off down a bumpy dirt road.
Soon we came to a cinderblock hut with a tv, 2 couches and two speakers.
For a little money an old man played karaoke songs on the tv and we sang along.
The songs were all Cambodian but they played one with English words every other song. And I was expected to sing!
I didn't know the tunes at all so I really had to fake it, but I sang my heart out about being a heartbroken water buffalo tender while my girl went to Bangkok to do amazing things like ride in a car and go to a movie!
It's so strange to be immersed in a culture that has no experience at all with modern living.
All in all it was a jolly good time, we ended up the night sitting around playing a Khmer instrument which is played with a bow. I tried to learn but it was tricky.



No comments:

Post a Comment