Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cambodians drink A LOT of beer

Made it to Cambodia.
Got a room and went out to see what's happening.
Saw the cambodian guys who own the guesthouse sitting around the bar.
So I went up to say hi. Susadi is hello here, the language is Khmer.
I had to learn some words in the taxi on the way here.
As soon as they heard hello in Khmer they all susadi'd right back and started giving me beers.
They all spoke better English than anyone in Thailand did, and they told me they paid to learn English.
The Asians love music and dancing and when we began talking about songs I mentioned that I had a guitar.
Next thing I know we are singing every song I know. They mainly know old American rock here.
They tell me it's their friends birthday and we all have to pitch in and I first think "hustle" then one says tomorrow's my birthday, etc. All night they teased me and laughed with me.
The Cambodians constantly tease each other.
I didn't get it at first, and thought they were rude, but I quickly learned that being able to get harassed and being able to give others a hard time is considered a manly thing to do in their culture.
One more thing. The Cambodians LOVE beer.
In thailand the people did not drink regularly, only the tourists.
But as soon as I made good conversation with these guys they started passing me beers.
The rule explained to me was when I finish a beer say finis and another one will be brought.
I have no idea why but the Thais and the Cambodians always use the French word "finis" for done, over, enough..
As the night continued they would make sure I kept the pace, and I learned to badmouth just like the rest of them and we had a lot of fun.
Soon it became apparent to me that the cambodians were about to drink one American under the table.
I seriously could not keep up with these guys.
ribbing each other and drinking at the same pace was a familiar cultural ritual to me, so I had fun proving my manhood, but soon I was too drunk and it was time to make my escape.
I said goodnight and they all protested with "one more! One more!"
Well in respect to my Cambodians brothers and in respect to my party animal nature I accepted, although with a bit of dread.
One thing I forgot to tell you.
About every 3-5 minutes someone starts a round of cheers and it's really important to them that everyone clinks cans.
All night long the Cambodians "cheers!" over and over. They say
"chon- mai!" when they speak Khmer.
You also have to get used to a level of intimacy with the Asians that Americans aren't used to.
They all sit very close so that legs are touching and there's lots of back pats, hugs, and long handshakes.
If you take the time to become friendly with them though, you find them to be quite innocent and unafraid to touch or talk openly with a stranger.
It's just normal here.
This was a big adjustment for me, I'm not a big fan of being touched by strangers,
In fact I've been here a month and I still haven't gotten a massage!
Greasy mommason fingers all over me gives me the creeps. Sorry, guess I'm just kind of a prude that way...
Anyway, I'm fitting in well here because I learned to be comfortable with the Asian way of communicating while in Thailand.
So, we ate BBQ beef, skin, gristle fat and all, and the sauce was a completely different taste, like sweet and sour vinegar.
It was good, even though I had to play it cool and chug my beer so I wouldn't choke on an unchewable piece of beef fat and gristle that was stuck in my craw.
And by the way, one thing I never, ever, do here is turn down or waste food.
So as everyone was very drunk I was able to gather my belongings and leave my beer in the bar.
I said goodnight and they threw a huge fit. one grabbed me in a bear hug and wouldn't let me go, but I had been hanging out long enough I knew just what to do.
so I started chanting as Loud as I could, "Cambodia! Cambodia! Cambodia!!!"
And they all started cheering and jumping around so much I was able to slip out the door.
Great guys. Love Cambodia.
Went to bed tonight with a sick beer tummy for the first time on my vacation, but it was worth it to show some grit and some friendliness.
I had a ton of fun.
I can sense a little more greed here, and a little bit more "meanness" behind the ribbing in this culture as compared to the Thai, who were very passive.
So I'll have to keep my wits about me, but I've learned that Asian law and culture is very easy to get along in.
You simply have to show some respect, humility, and generosity, to the people and even though they will try to take a dollar here and there, they will also share their food and look out for you after just a little bit of friendship.
I feel really fortunate to have experienced these cultures in my lifetime.
Heres pictures of me and the boys at the pop rendezvous guesthouse in siem reap Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment