Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The clinic

Knowing that open wounds are serious business here, especially on your feet, I went to see a nurse as soon as I got back on haad rin beach.(where I'm staying)
When the nurse got a look at me she said "good you clean wrap. Thailand bacteria very aggressive"
She began jerking my toe around and staring at me to see when I flinch.
She said "you ok. No infection, no break, you bruise very bad." I didn't bother trying to explain that I spent half the night hiking around in the dark jungle on the damn thing.
The toe nail and a healthy chunk of my toe was still hanging onto the side of my toe.
She next said " you speak some Thai tell me Thai words"
As I started to speaking, she yanked that toenail right off.
She began laughing and said "I have good method?"
Yes good method, I barely shrieked.
Anyway she did an excellent job cleaning and dressing it.
Then she gave a huge bag of antibiotics and said "you see me every day three days" " you take biotic everyday. Three days no infection you ok"
So for three days I saw the nurse and took antibiotics for 4 days.
The toe has already healed over but I have to keep it super dry for at least another week.
I took care of it quickly and saved my vacation.
You don't get second chances traveling like this but if you learn quickly from your mistakes it gets easier.
I've been able to duct tape a ziplock bag around my foot so I can still swim a little. (yes I'm actually out here with european hardbodies and string bikinis with a plastic bag duct taped to my foot. Thailand-meet Idaho.)

No comments:

Post a Comment